Men's Tennis Beats Bluefield; Women Lose Opener
The Pride men's tennis team opened the spring campaign with a 5-4 home win over Bluefield, while the women dropped a 6-3 decision.
The men raced out to a 2-1 lead following doubles action. Crosby Simms and Nicholas Gillespie were victorious at number one, beating Jordan Owens/Stonestreet, 8-6. Matt Moscatello and Matthew Troy earned the second win at number three.
Moscatello continued the Greensboro momentum into singles play, knocking off Stonestreet in the second position, 6-4, 6-2 to cut the magic number to two. Troy and Jonathan Deming sealed the match with wins at number five and six.
On the women's side, Meredith Kelly and Kristen Smith teamed up at number one doubles to beat Casey Germain/Williams 8-0. However, the other two doubles squads of Brittany Cates/Elizabeth Adair and Diana Bravo/Danielle Simpson came up short in their matches, allowing Bluefield to take a 2-1 advantage into singles play.
Kelly completed her perfect day with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep of Germain in the number one position. Simpson also earned a singles win, beating Allen 2-6, 3-1, default.
The men are now 1-0 in dual match play, while the women fall to 0-1 on the young season. Both teams will be in action on Sunday at cross-town rival, Guilford. Match time is set for 1 p.m.
1. Simms/Gillespie (GC) def. Owens/Stonestreet (BC) 8-6
2. Eastep/Moore (BC) def. Deming/Espinoza (GC) 9-8 (3)
3. Moscatellow/Troy win by default
1. Owens (BC) def. Simms (GC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Moscatello (GC) def. Stonestreet (BC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Moore (BC) def. Gillespie (GC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Eastep (BC) def. Espinoza (GC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Troy (GC) wins by default
6. Deming (GC) wins by default
1. Kelly/Smith (GC) def. Germain/Williams (BC) 8-0
2. Cregger/Dolan (BC) def. Cates/Adair (GC) 8-3
3. Austin/Allen (BC) def. Bravo/Simpson (GC) 8-4
1. Kelly (GC) def. Germain (BC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Williams (BC) def. Smith (GC) 6-2, 4-6 (10-6)
3. Cregger (BC) def. Cates (GC) 5-2, default
4. Dolan (BC) def. Adair (GC) 7-5, 6-2
5. Austin (BC) def. Bravo (GC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Simpson (GC) beat Allen (BC) 2-6, 3-1